Re: More an autopackage

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: More an autopackage
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:27:43 -0600 (CST)

> I'm getting into this discussion a little late, but here are my
> $0.02.
>
> First, see:
>
>     http://www.easysw.com/epm
>
> and specifically:
>
>     http://www.easysw.com/epm/epm-paper.html

Yes, actually I have looked at it.  I'm using it to build the packages in
my project right now.  It still doesn't quite meet my needs, but it does
the job right now.  For instance, our packages are supposed to have a
pre-install script that does a click-through agreement.  I've tried to
explain that you can tell the package system (rpm, at least) not to run
pre-install scripts and therefore it probably wouldn't hold up in court.
But anyway, the powers that be want that pre-install script capability,
which epm doesn't seem to support.  epm is fairly short code, so it
probably wouldn't be too bad to add it in.

What I'm thinking right now is to use epm as the initial packager for
autopkg.  autopkg reads a file containing install instructions, then
generates the epm list file.  It's double work, but eventually autopkg
would get support for "native" package systems.  Then later autopkg will
be able to scan Makefile/Makefile.am/some_file to automatically generate
its install info file.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
address@hidden