Re: [Fwd: --add-missing]

From: Derek R. Price
Subject: Re: [Fwd: --add-missing]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:55:24 -0500

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Derek> Yep.  Looks like that could be used by configure to set, say,
> Derek> TEX_TEXINPUTS & PDFTEX_TEXINPUTS and prepend include dirs
> Derek> differently for different targets, but I suspect that if your
> Derek> TeX distribution includes kpsewhich then your TeX applications
> Derek> can already find the appropriate texinfo.tex.
>
> Me too.  But the point is that GNU packages are supposed to ship with
> texinfo.tex.

Is there a web page somewhere with this standard on it?  I browsed
briefly but I haven't been able to locate one.

> I'm reluctant to rely on kpsewhich.  What if we changed makeinfo to
> have an option to print the path to texinfo.tex?  Then automake could
> run this program instead of installing its own private copy of
> texinfo.tex.
>
> This would guarantee that the maintainer gets the texinfo.tex that
> matches his makeinfo.

What's the difference?  Who maintains makeinfo?  The makeinfo on my
system seems to have been installed with my texinfo package anyhow, the
same place kpsewhich came from.

Also, this still doesn't solve my problem.  My problem stems from the
fact that 'texi2dvi' and 'texi2dvi --pdf' will use find two different
texinfo.tex files and the two files don't appear to be compatibile -
unless there is a texinfo.tex in the local directory ('.'), in which
case both calls to 'texi2dvi' will use './texinfo.tex' and one call will
produce garbage rather than readable output.  Any fix that would get by
my system would have to either include both 'texinfo.tex' files and do
some fancy include munging depending on the target or notice that a tex
package containing 'texinfo.tex' was already installed and not create
the version in the local directory.  Configure could probably handle
this second solution - perhaps if 'kpsewhich' exists and returns a
default 'texinfo.tex' then it leaves 'texinfo.tex.in' alone.  Otherwise
it copies it into 'texinfo.tex'.

Derek

--
Derek Price                      CVS Solutions Architect ( http://CVSHome.org )