Re: "Packing" binary data into object files using autotools

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: "Packing" binary data into object files using autotools
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 21:19:12 +0100

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 03:31:28PM +0200, Thomas Nyberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to simplify my previous question. Say I'm starting with
> this file:
>
>     # Makefile.am
>     -------------------------------------------------------------------
>     [...]
>
>     library_la_SOURCES = \
>         ... [A bunch of files...]
>       src/resources/code_archive.S
>     -------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Where that `src/resources/code_archive.S` file is the assembly file from
> my previous email.

I don't know if it is any better than the solution you found, but
another possibility may be to use the library_la_LIBADD variable, which
I read is supposed to be used to list objects to be added into the library.
The idea is to list a file generated from 'src/resources/code_archive.S'
in this variable. However, according to the documentation I read, this
would have to be a *.lo file (Libtool object), so you would have to
write Makefile rules to create such a thing (i.e. code_archive.lo
instead of code_archive.o).

There are various suggestions on how to deal with built sources in the
Automake manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Built-Sources-Example.html