Re: Proper location to install shell function libraries?

From: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
Subject: Re: Proper location to install shell function libraries?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:49:35 +0100

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 02:35:04PM +0100, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:
> Hi,

[cut]

> The scripts make use of a common set of shell functions, defined in
> their own file.  This is currently sourced like this:
>
>     prefix="@prefix@"
>     exec_prefix="@exec_prefix@"
>     . "@libexecdir@/toolbox.shlib"
>
> Then, in the configure.ac file, I have a line like
>
>     AC_CONFIG_FILES([src/script], [chmod +x src/script])
>
> for each script, so that it's generated from the corresponding script.in
> file upon running configure.
>
> My query is this: Would libexecdir be the best place to put a file that
> is architecture dependent, but *not* meant to be executed separatedly
> (it's a library).  Or should it actually be stored under libdir (which
> I've never seen done with a shell library of functions)?

Just to clarify:  The scripts themselves are naturally installed in
bindir, the question is what to do with a "shared library of shell
functions".

Thanks for the replies so far.  I will try with libdir/package-name and
see what it looks like.

If anyone knows of a precedent for doing it one way or another, I'd be
happy to get to know about it.

Regards,
Andreas