Re: About libdir for 64-bit

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: About libdir for 64-bit
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:07:25 +0300

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Sergio Belkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a configure.ac with following:
>
> AS_CASE([$host], [x86_64*|sparc64*|s390x*|ppc64*], [libdir=$prefix/lib64],
> [libdir=$prefix/lib])
>
> I'done it in order to make easy the install of package and choose the
> libdir according to arch. But I've found that I can't override if I run
> ./configure llibdir=/whatever and even distros like Debian put libraries in
> /usr/lib//x86_64-linux-gnu
>
> is there a way to fix it?

Please, just do not do that.

Do you even realize how strange, unnatural and _unexpected_ it looks
and behave on any other system?  You saw already that even inside
Linux world your solution looks like alien even on another
distribution.  Now imagine the feelings of non-Linux system users!

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>