Re: porting with autotools

From: Steffen Dettmer
Subject: Re: porting with autotools
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 12:34:25 +0200

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Reuben Hawkins <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm porting a large Windows toolkit to Linux, OSX, etc.  Is there a
> tool which will walk my directory structure outputting Makefile.am in
> each directory where needed?

I'd recommend to consider alternatives to the `one Makefile.am per
direcory' approach in favor of fewer makefiles, maybe only one
per component. As far as I know automake fully supports this.

Advantages (including less automake time, less make traversing
time, better and direct dependency tracking possible, make can
optimize better, especially in parallel builds with -j).

oki,

Steffen