Re: libpthread check immature and broken

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libpthread check immature and broken
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:59:11 +0100

Hello,

* kordex - wrote on Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 04:16:29PM CET:
> Yes, doing the wrong thing is most likely to happen when one does not
> know the software one is trying to work with. But why does confgure
> fail even if there is -lpthread and <pthread.h> available on hpux?

Presumably (I haven't looked at the sources of the package you're trying
to build) the configure.{ac,in} simply used
  AC_CHECK_LIB([pthread], [pthread_create])

which fails if pthread_create is a #define, which it is under the HP-UX
I'm looking at.

You can override the AC_CHECK_LIB test with something like
  ./configure ac_cv_lib_pthread_pthread_create=yes

> can compile and link (and run programs) with gcc mypthread.source.c
> -lpthread . But still configure does not detect the presence of
> pthreads.

The tests from the ACX_PTHREAD macro are smart enough to cope with this
situation.