Re: link and run a (fortran) program redirecting its stdout/stderr

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: link and run a (fortran) program redirecting its stdout/stderr
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:06:50 +0200

* Stefano Lattarini wrote on Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:20:04PM CEST:
> I have to compile and link a Fortran 77 test program. and then run it
> redirecting its stdout/stderr (I need to do so to verify that the `stop'
> builtin is silent when called without arguments -- unfortunately this is
> not always the case, e.g. when using gfortran-4.0).

Can you explain what this means or does?  If this is similar to checking
for the declaration of a C function, then it should be handled
similarly, i.e., by a suitable compile or link test, rather than by
trying to parse compiler and/or output.

The latter is very brittle.  Libtool tries to do it in its
_LT_{COMPILER,LINKER}_OPTION macros, and it's only causing trouble.

Thanks,