Re: regenerating a script specified in AC_CONFIG_FILES

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: regenerating a script specified in AC_CONFIG_FILES
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 20:59:28 +0200

* Adam Mercer wrote on Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 08:12:49PM CEST:
> As part of the configure process I generate a script, git_version,
> from a file git_version.in specified in AC_CONFIG_FILES() so that an
> appropriate python interpreter is used. However if I modify the
> git_version.in file the git_version script is not regenerated when
> running make. Is there anyway to ensure that this is regenerated ,if
> appropriate, automatically?

Are you using Automake?  If yes, and if the arguments to AC_CONFIG_FILES
are shell literals, then automake should produce a rule to regenerate
the file for you.

Otherwise, you can also just add one to your makefile, a la

  git_version: $(top_builddir)/config.status git_version.in
        cd $(top_builddir) && ./config.status $(top_build_prefix)$@

(untested, you could look into the manual if you need more information).