Re: [autoconf] checking automake version in configure.ac

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: [autoconf] checking automake version in configure.ac
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:20:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Eric Blake wrote:

According to Ralf Corsepius on 10/6/2009 1:45 AM:
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.11])

yes, but...

This way, running an insufficient automake on your source files will
error out.

... I don't want that behavior. I just want to add a feature, not to
forbid a user to rebuild the files.
Your consideration doesn't make sense.

If your package requires a minimum version of automake, then your
package can't be rebuilt without a sufficient version of automake,
therefore the user must be stopped running his automake.

The desired behavior TOTALLY makes sense (although this is an automake
question, not an autoconf question)

sorry for that. Actually, i wondered to which list i had to send the question.

- an example is the use of color-tests
when available, with a clean fallback to no color-tests if an older
automake was sufficient for everything else.  See this thread on the
automake list for the same question, and the answer given by the maintainer:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2009-08/msg00035.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2009-08/msg00040.html

so:

m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])])

seems the thing to do.

Thank you

Vincent Torri