Re: checking for libraries that link but do not run

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: checking for libraries that link but do not run
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 19:16:48 -0400

On Monday 05 October 2009 15:21:10 Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Gnulib uses AC_RUN_IFELSE in many places.  I suspect that most
> programs that use Gnulib will fall afoul of these problems too.

gnulib isnt really a relevant example.  the vast majority of gnulib is testing
either the system C library or the operating system, neither of which require
any libraries at all (since the default toolchain already provides them).
plus, their examples are searching for specific/known bugs in various
implementations -- they arent doing sanity checks that the library in question
is "available" and "usable".  spurious running of code by configure scripts is
the bane of anyone doing cross-system builds and really should be avoided
unless truly necessary.

your original issue (people linking against libraries but then failing to
properly configure their system such that the ldso can find them at runtime)
sounds like pure PEBKAC to me.  i'd personally write a FAQ and tell users to
RTFF instead of bloating the autotool code to cater to such misbehavior.
-mike