Re: ac_cv_sizeof_X, et al.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: ac_cv_sizeof_X, et al.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:07:28 -0700

Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

> At one point, I proposed modifying autoconf to require both types, or else
> claim that neither type exists, because there was an actual platform
> (Tandem/NSK) reported by Matthew Woehlke that actually had 32-bit unsigned
> long long and 64-bit long long.  Paul Eggert declined the idea at the
> time, but perhaps it needs revisiting?

Naaah.  That version of Tandem/NSK is out of date, and it's unlikely
that that particular problem will recur in other platforms, since that
old behavior does not conform to C99.

In Gnulib we've made the decision to not bother to port to platforms
where INT_MAX does not fit in unsigned int, and similarly for the
other sizes of integers.  Autoconf itself does not make this
assumption, but we haven't yet found any modern realistic porting
target where this assumption is false.