Re: AC_TYPE_SIGNAL obsolete?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_TYPE_SIGNAL obsolete?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:10:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Paul Eggert wrote:

Yes, absolutely; it took quite some time for those old systems to die
off.  But they have been dead for at least a decade.  It's time to
move on.

A minimum of 10 years of coverage seems good to me. 12 years is a good maximum limit. 5 or 7 years is definitely not enough. 5 or 7 years is only acceptable when open source OSs are considered and not when proprietary OSs are considered.

Solaris 2.6 (July 1997) supported the void return from signal handlers.

Here's another, slightly less-conservative rule that I find useful:
when the original supplier of an operating system version no longer
supports that version, then we don't need to support it either.  For

I don't buy this story at all. Lots of original suppliers go bankrupt or completely dump existing product lines. Each supplier has different support philosophies. Economic incentive has little to do with open source.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn