Re: Problems upgrading

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems upgrading
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:45:40 +0100

Hello Skip,

* Skip Kimpel - Magicgate Software, Inc. wrote on Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at
08:30:53PM CET:

> I have version 2.57 installed on my system and I would like to upgrade
> to 2.61.. What do I need to do this?

Hmm.  You could download
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.61.tar.bz2>
and then

  bzip2 -dc autoconf-2.61.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
  cd autoconf-2.61
  ./configure
  make
  make install

If you want it installed below some other prefix than /usr/local, then
you should tell it configure with the "--prefix /some/where" argument.

But if your system is a distribution (e.g., some GNU/Linux, or BSD, or
Cygwin or MinGW or so), or has some other means of source or binary
packaging, you should just look into installing an updated Autoconf
package.

Hope that helps.