Re: Autotest: using $abs_srcdir with m4_include

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Autotest: using $abs_srcdir with m4_include
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:41:31 -0700

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:24:30AM -0600, Nathaniel D. Sizemore wrote:
> m4_include([$abs_srcdir/type1/testsuite.at])

> Am I doing something wrong?

M4 (through autom4te) processes `testsuite.at' to make `testsuite', a shell
script that harnesses tests.  m4_include acts entirely during the M4 processing
stage.  `$abs_srcdir' is a shell variable; it means nothing until you execute
`testsuite' as a shell script.

> Is there a way to have m4_include expand
> the variables I need, or failing that, some way to replace m4_include
> with a workaround?

If your Makefile stanza for generating `testsuite' is like the one documented in
the 'Making testsuite scripts' node in the Info documentation, this should work:

  m4_include([type1/testsuite.at])

It is Make passing `-I $(srcdir)' to autom4te that you need for this to work.