$(NM)

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: $(NM)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:53:13 +0200

Hello,

I'm using autoconf 2.59, automake 1.9.6, and libtool 1.5.22 to
cross-build a package for another architecture. I added the following
rule to Makefile.am:

%.map:  %
        $(NM) -n --defined-only $< |egrep -v '\$$a|\$$d' >$@

I had to add the line below to configure.ac to make it do what I want.

AC_SUBST(NM, "$NM")

Questions:

1. Why isn't it available to make by default, like $(CC)?

2. $(CC) is the compiler generating code for the host system. What is
   the var containing the name of the compiler generating code for the
   build system?

Thanks in advance,
Baurzhan.