Re: Changing PACKAGE_BUGREPORT?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Changing PACKAGE_BUGREPORT?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:55:39 +0200

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:23:50PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Stepan Kasal wrote:
> > Let me give an example: how would you feel if Fedora modifies the package
> > so that it tells the users to report to bugzilla.redhat.com?
> > Sure such a step of Fedora would induce negative feelings.
>
> It depends on how it is handled.  On Debian systems if you run
> "reportbug coreutils" for example it would send the bug report to the
> Debian bug tracking system.

I'm sure each distribution establishes its own bug database and encourages
users to report bugs there, and tries to make it easy for them.
That's not the same as hooking to the --help message for the program.

But when you and Paul tell me that the practical advantages are worth it,
I no longer protest against having the cygwin bug report address there.

I think it can be done by patching the line

        PACKAGE_BUGREPORT='address@hidden'

in configure.

If the package calls autoreconf for some other reason, then it can patch the
AC_INIT line in configure.ac first.
(Every distribution has a mechanism to apply a set of patches to the source
tree, right?)

Or they can use a `sed -i' command to edit the PACKAGE_BUGREPORT/AC_INIT
line.

What could make this simpler?

Though I'm convinced that adding the cygwin bug report address is the right
thing, I still have no actual idea how Autoconf should help with this.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan