Re: how to define my own configure options

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: how to define my own configure options
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 07:37:28 -0700

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:15:12PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> What is the recommended procedure to define my own configure
> options in configure.ac, e.g. "--report" to list the settings
> found, or "--shorthelp" to list just the "non-standard" options,
> ignoring or including AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, etc.? Is there an
> interface?

Autoconf provides no facility for creating arbitrary options.  The GNU Coding
Standards specify the interface of configure scripts for GNU software rather
tightly, and Autoconf generates scripts that comply with its guidelines.

More software uses Autoconf than attempts to comply with the Coding Standards,
and authors twist one of AC_ARG_ENABLE or AC_ARG_WITH to fit their needs.