RE: Simple multilib project

From: Jon Beniston
Subject: RE: Simple multilib project
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:20:16 +0100

> Jon Beniston wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to a very simple autoconf/automake project that
> > builds multilibs for a cross-compiled target? I am having great
> > difficulty in getting this to work, as in my project, all the
> > libraries get installed on top of each other. (i.e. they all go in
> > /lib instead of /target/config/config/lib etc). I'm using autoconf
> > 2.59 and automake 1.7.9.
>
> That sounds like the solution will be in the automake space.

I ask here because I hear a few other projects (libstdc++ etc) had a
similar problem when switching to autoconf 2.57.

Unfortunately, their autoconf/automake scripts are a bit too compilcate
for me to fully understand what is going on..

> Sorry but I am not cross compiling so no examples for you
> there.  When you say all of the libraries get installed on
> top of each other do you mean with the same name?

I mean I have a library libx.a that is built several times with
different compiler options. The libraries are built with the correct
options and in separate directories, however, when installing, each
library is copied to the same place, rather than their respective
multilib directories.

> You will
> need to name each library uniquely in your Makefile.am files.
>
> Directly libabc Makefile.am:
>   LIBRARIES = libabc.a
>
> Directly libxyz Makefile.am:
>   LIBRARIES = libxyz.a
>
> That should install both libabc.a and libxyz.a into wherever
> you have set 'libdir'.  And of course I left all of the
> details as an exercise to the reader.

I don't think this is quite what I'm looking to do, as I want to build
the same library several times.

Cheers anyway,
JonB