Re: x86 crosscompile

From: Daniel Kegel
Subject: Re: x86 crosscompile
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:05:44 -0700

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
For most packages you just need to set CFLAGS or similar to include -march for the lower platform, but for some packages setting --host= and --target= is needed, especially gcc, glibc and binutils.

see http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/crosscompiling-x86.txt

That's handy, thanks.  Another interesting source of info
might be the rules in http://ptxdist.sf.net, which knows
how to cross-compile quite a few apps.

./configure --host=i486-pc-linux-gnu --target=i486-pc-linux-gnu

For complex packages which are prepared for Canadian Cross Compilation
(gcc/binutils/gdb/glibc etc), this can be right.

Heh.  I'm doing that now, and it looks like I need to use
modified values for build and host (with _build and _host
appended to the manufacturer field) to force the configure
scripts into cross-compile mode.   Not all i686-pc-linux-gnu's are
created equal!
- Dan