Re: AC_CONFIG_FILES

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: AC_CONFIG_FILES
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:34:22 -0500

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:43:48 -0500, Bob Lockie wrote:
> Brackets are not allowed in the filenames for the AC_CONFIG_FILES macro?
> AC_CONFIG_FILES( [Makefile] )
> AC_CONFIG_FILES( doc/arson/Makefile )

Exactly what problem do you experience?  I have no problem executing the
above code.

> Everything works when I take the brackets out.
> AC_CONFIG_FILES( Makefile )
> AC_CONFIG_FILES( doc/arson/Makefile )

In m4, trailing whitespace in arguments is relavant.  The m4 manual states
that leading whitespace on arguments is discarded, but trailing whitespace is
not.  Also note that the quotes [ and ] do not expressly delimit an
argument; they simply quote parts of it.  With and without the brackets, the
arguments you are passing to AC_CONFIG_FILES() all contain trailing
whitespace.

> I hate tools that are picky about tabs, spaces, etc.

Given that m4 is mainly a text processing facility, it makes sense that it
tries to preserve the format of the text.

-- ES