Re: creating and using separate src and obj trees

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: creating and using separate src and obj trees
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:27:20 -0600 (CST)

You get most of this behavior for free if you put your configure
script directly under 'src', cd to 'obj', and then execute the
configure script like /usr/src/configure.

You may find it difficult to convince Automake to build from
src/lib/lib1 to obj/lib1 since it assumes a mirrored directory tree.

Bob

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Simon Mudd wrote:

> I'm sure this is a faq: please point me to it!
>
> I have been looking at the autoconf and automake manuals and on the
> Internet
> but have been unable to find out if I can use automake/autoconf to do this.
> I've also searched on Google without success.
>
> I have a source tree which is built using automake[1]. The application is
> large
> and being written in C++ and when built the tree ocupies over 1GB. I
> therefore
> want to separate the source tree from the build tree in a similar way that
> FreeBSD uses /usr/src and /usr/obj when building the whole operating
> system[2].
>
> I'm not entirely sure if this question is more appropriate for the automake
> list.
>
> I've seen that there is a top_builddir and also an ac_top_builddir autoconf
> macro/variable but am not sure how or what to set to enable me to define
> this.
> Ideally I would like to set top_buildir=$top_srcdir/../obj or similar and
> have
> this definition propogate down automatically in the subdirectories in my
> source tree.
>
> If anyone can point me to how to do this I would be most obliged.
>
> [1][2] The source and object tree structure I am looking to achieve is:
> src                 obj
> src/lib             obj/lib
> src/lib/lib1        obj/lib1
> src/lib/lib2        obj/lib2