m4sugar problem with update to autoconf 2.57

From: David Relson
Subject: m4sugar problem with update to autoconf 2.57
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:14:51 -0400

Greetings,

I'm having problems with autoconf 2.57 and I need some help. I'd been using 2.54 without any trouble, but needed to update to 2.57 (to keep up with my bogofilter co-developer).

I downloaded the .tgz, unpacked it, and ran "./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make check && make install". It took a while, but all seemed to run correctly.

Returning to my project directory, I ran "autoreconf -fis" and got:

autom4te: no such file or directory: m4sugar/m4sugar.m4
autom4te: no such file or directory: m4sugar/m4sugar.m4
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Creating symlinks from ./m4sugar and ./autoconf to /usr/share/autoconf/m4sugar and /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf, I am able to run "autoreconf -fis" without any trouble.

I shouldn't have to manually link from my project directory to /usr/share/autoconf in order to run autoreconf. I think that something is wrong.

Is this a known problem?   Is there a fix?

Thank you.

David