Re: error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest

From: Andreas Buening
Subject: Re: error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 16:52:24 +0100

Bob Lockie wrote:

> On 03/06/03 22:24 Ralf Corsepius spoke thusly
>
> > Am Don, 2003-03-06 um 20.37 schrieb Bob Lockie:
> >
> >>Does anybody know how to fix this error:
> >>error: m4_popdef: undefined macro: AC_Dest
> >>

> > This error indicates a broken configure script.
> >
> > Ralf
>
> It happens when I try to run "autoconf" so it is the "configure.in" script.
> Do you happen to know how I can debug it?

This happens if autoconf creates a configure file but cannot
find the definition of the AC_Dest macro (whatever it is).
It happens quite often if you
- use another autoconf version than the maintainer,
- forgot to add the directory where the .m4 files are to the
  aclocal command line (typically "aclocal -I m4"),
- the AC_Dest is neither part of autoconf nor of the package
  you're trying to compile but it's installed on the maintainer's
  system and not documented,
- it's part of another package that installs its own .m4 files
  but you've installed it into another prefix dir than your
  aclocal itself (e.g.: aclocal searches its files in
  /usr/local/share/aclocal/ but your package has installed its
  .m4 files into ~/joe/share/aclocal/).

How to debug: grep the original sources (i.e. all .m4 files) for
AC_Dest before you run autoconf. Then grep the autoconf 2.53 and
2.57 directories. If this doesn't help grep the sources after
you've run the working autoconf 2.53. Best of luck!

Bye,
Andreas