Re: keeping $exec-prefix et al unexpanded

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: keeping $exec-prefix et al unexpanded
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:03:24 +0000

Hello.

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Why don't you use DESTDIR instead?

One excuse and one reason:

* I'm not confident that DESTDIR will work correctly for DJGPP. You can just
concatenate two DOS paths, e.g.: concatenating c:/foo and c:/djgpp/bin doesn't
make sense. DJGPP does support using /dev/<letter> instead of <letter>:, so
this can be avoided. Testing with automake 1.7.[23] recently indicates that
DESTDIR should work OK. So perhaps I should have more confidence in DESTDIR.

* As mentioned already, some projects use autoconf but not automake. Several
projects I've packaged for DJGPP only use autoconf.

> IE:
>
>  > ./configure --prefix=/usr
>  > make
>  > make DESTDIR=/tmp install