[Fwd: Re: sed, pathnames, commas, ?(shell functions)]

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: [Fwd: Re: sed, pathnames, commas, ?(shell functions)]
Date: 02 Mar 2003 01:04:56 -0800

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 02:57, Akim Demaille wrote:

>  >> It occurs to me that this could also be solved by generating a small
>  >> standalone script using the tmpdir mechanism, to replace the shell
>  >> function.  Would that solution be preferable?
>
> Number one problem is that most of the time, we want the same
> environment as configure, so exec'ing a file is not possible.  We'd
> have to use `.' or `source', that do already exhibit portability
> problems (in particular wrt passing arguments).

I don't understand your objection.  I am not proposing a solution for
"most of the time," I was proposing a solution for a particular problem,
i.e., metacharacters existing in the RHS of sed substitutions.  There is
no need to source, you are simply running a command like every other
command in status.config.

Bob