Segfault with unset

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Segfault with unset
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:34:35 -0800 (PST)

A user of our package wrote to say ./configure was segfaulting.

 >./configure
./configure
Segmentation fault

I suspected old shell so I tested on a shell server at he.net and could
repeat it (turns out the user was testing on he.net, too).

What's causing the segfault is this line in the ./configure script:

  $as_unset ENV MAIL MAILPATH

Here's the version of bash that's running:

/bin/sh --version
GNU bash, version 2.01.0(23)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)

The configure script was built with autoconf 2.57, but this isn't really
an Autoconf problem, but I hope someone has seen this before:

>cat test
#! /bin/sh

# Support unset when possible.
if (FOO=FOO; unset FOO) >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  as_unset=unset
else
  as_unset=false
fi