Re: auto{conf,make} & DJGPP: DESTDIR

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: auto{conf,make} & DJGPP: DESTDIR
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:44:03 +0000

Hello.

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Richard Dawe wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I've ported autoconf 2.57 and automake 1.7.2 to DJGPP, based on Tim van
> > Holder's work.
> >
> > Unfortunately DESTDIR support is currently broken for DJGPP.
> > The reason is that the generated Makefiles do things like
> > $(DESTDIR)$(binprefix). $(binprefix) could be something like c:/djgpp/bin
> > and $(DESTDIR) could be, say, d:/put/packages/here/. So
> > $(DESTDIR)$(binprefix) becomes d:/put/packages/here/c:/djgpp/bin, which
> > doesn't make sense.
> >
> > DJGPP supports referring to c: as /dev/c. So one possible solution to this
> > problem is to ensure that $(prefix) and its derivatives are always mapped
> > to /dev/<letter>/ paths from <letter>: paths. But where would this mapping
> > take place? In autoconf alone? Or would both autoconf and automake require
> > modification?
> >

> That sounds as if it's a modification to the way you define prefix
> during the configure process.  ./configure --prefix=/dev/c/djgpp.  But
> that still sounds bothersome when combining DESTDIR.

I thought about that. But it'd be nice to automagically protect autoconf
against the user specifying a path with <letter>: paths.

Are there other paths that get written into Makefiles and used when
installing, etc.?

(We also have /dev/env/DJDIR, which expands to the contents of DJDIR from the
environment at runtime. In fact, /dev/env/foo expands to foo from the
environment for all foo.)

> Check out: http;//www.mingw.org/msys.shtml for a Minimal SYStem alternative
> that can cope with this problem.

I'll check that out sometime.

> Curious, what does DJGPP return for ``uname -s''?

MS-DOS

Thanks, regards,

--
Richard Dawe [ http://www.phekda.freeserve.co.uk/richdawe/ ]