Re: ac-archive: ac_sys_largefile and libraries...

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: ac-archive: ac_sys_largefile and libraries...
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 01:43:28 -0800 (PST)

I don't think we should worry about supporting mixed 32- and 64-bit
off_t.  All sane programs will use plain 64-bit off_t on modern
platforms.  Libraries should be built in 64-bit mode as well.  If you
really need a 32-bit off_t library for some strange reason, build it
separately; that's easy to do.

People who want to spend time building libraries that support both 32-
and 64-bit off_t simultaneously are obviously free to do so, but I
wouldn't make Autoconf any more complicated than it already is to help
them maintain their chimeras.