Re: Moving to Automake 1.4a

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Moving to Automake 1.4a
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:46:18 -0500 (EST)

Hello, Earnie!

> IMO, it would be undesirable to have autoconf use a version of automake
> that isn't a released version.  When I was learning automake, autoconf,
> etc. I went about it by actually using the tools on themselves.  Not
> having a released version of automake would have been a stumbling block
> as at the time I didn't have a cvs client and wouldn't have known that
> it was possible to get the automake source from a CVS server even if I
> had a cvs client.

I guess you are slightly confused. Makefile.in generated by the CVS
Automake will be included in all releases of Autoconf. Moreover,
Makefile.in are even included in the CVS repository of Autoconf. You
shouldn't need CVS Automake to build CVS Autoconf (but you may need some
script like egcs-update to ensure that Makefile.in's are newer that their
dependencies after CVS update).

Another proposal was to modify Automake to use some new features in
Autoconf. It doesn't mean that every project using the latest Autoconf
(CVS or otherwise) will be required to use an unreleased version of
Automake.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin