autoconf-prs

autoconf/224: autoconf/224: Autoconf creates variables that exceed shell

From: jkj
Subject: autoconf/224: autoconf/224: Autoconf creates variables that exceed shell limits
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:55:07 -0600 (CST)

The following reply was made to PR autoconf/224; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden,address@hidden
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 00:10:55 -0500

 >Number:         224
 >Category:       autoconf
 >Synopsis:       Autoconf creates variables that exceed shell limits
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       critical
 In 2.54 a change was introduced that breaks autoconf on OpenServer, and
possibly other platforms.
 The culprit is ac_subst_vars. In a very large configure script, this ends up
 setting the variable to one that is over 12K in length, and that exceeds the
shell limit
 on a variable's content length.
 A similar problem exists if there are a very large number of files that make
 their way into ac_config_files. It would be nice if this could be addressed to
split out
 very long lines into multiple entries, so that I dont need to shorten file
names just
 to get the list under the limit.
 >How-To-Repeat:
 Run autoconf on any script that produces a large list of
 AC_SUBST() variables. I can provide the exact script that
 is giving me the trouble if required.