autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #9788] ax_pthread.m4: when using -pthread and GCC, also add libra

From: anonymous
Subject: [patch #9788] ax_pthread.m4: when using -pthread and GCC, also add library.
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 07:38:18 -0400 (EDT)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

GCC (and its specific language frontends) ignores the -pthread flag when using
-nostdlib.

Since we cannot know what flags will be used later on, we should better add an
existent library implementing the portable threads interface to PTHREAD_LIBS
(if available).

Note that we do not actually check if the libraries contain any pthread
symbols, the existence itself should be good enough. Otherwise, the checking
code would have to be duplicated in multiple places, which doesn't make a lot
of sense.

One popular (annoying) example of why this is necessary is libtool bug #13550,
which means that libtool always links C++ code with -nostdlib.

File Attachments:

Date: Sat 06 Apr 2019 11:38:17 AM UTC  Name:
0001-ax_pthread.m4-when-using-pthread-and-GCC-also-add-li.patch  Size: 4KiB
By: None

<http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=46730>

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9788>

  Message sent via Savannah