audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] RMS video update

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] RMS video update
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:55:55 -0800 (PST)

Mike  Dupont:

> I noticed a problem with the rms video online from Kosovo,
> I have updated it,
> http://sfck09.blogspot.com/2010/11/rms-video.html
>
> It works when we download it, but does not play in a browser, I cannot
> seem to get it coverted. maybe you want to help.
> the file is in very high quality.

There are actally two different problems here.

The first problem is that the audio & video is inside a Matroska container
(.mkv.) I'm not aware of any browser that will play those natively.

I was going to suggest converting it into an Ogg container for you, which
browsers like GNU Icecat could then play, along with some information about how
to do that on your own, but then that raises the second problem: The file is
made up of Theora video and AAC audio -- not Vorbis -- and AAC audio isn't
supported by the Ogg container. Are you sure that you didn't mean to use Vorbis
audio instead?

Operating under the assumption that you wanted Vorbis audio, I ran it through
FFmpeg with -vcodec copy -acodec libvorbis and here'a version in the Ogg
container format with Vorbis audio instead: http://aws.bluehome.net/rms.ogv.
Browsers that contain built-in support for Theora, Vorbis & Ogg should be happy
with it.

My audio quality won't be as good as what you could achieve on your own,
though, because you have the original file and can encode directly into Vorbis,
where as I only have access to the intermediate AAC audio. If you could instead
recreate the file using Theora video & Vorbis audio directly from the original
recording that would be better -- just make sure to use the Ogg container for
the end result if you want it playable in browsers. :)

If the program you're using doesn't support the Ogg container, a command like
this will copy over the Vorbia audio & Theora video unmodified into the Ogg
container:

ffmpeg -i rms.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy rms.ogv

I hope that this helps!