Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] composed characters in LaTeX source code
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 21:53:11 +0100

Le 08/11/2018 à 21:08, Stephen Berman a écrit :
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:29:42 +0100 Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 06:07:17PM +0100, Stephen Berman wrote:
Emacs can correctly display composed characters, and I want to use such
characters in a LaTeX source file but when I run the latter through
pdflatex, the PDF output display is wrong.

If you have Unicode input files, usually the best thing to do is to
use XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX to process your files. pdflatex groks a subset
of Unicode with the inputenc package, but it's only a subset. IME
XeLaTeX does a much better job, even though it's claimed to be
slower. (I never use pdflatex, so I can't really compare).

If for some reason you need or want to use pdflatex, then I doubt
there's a solution.

Thanks.  I ran it through XeLaTeX and that indeed output the composed
character correctly aligned, though the vertical positioning looks worse
to me than with pdflatex (see attached screenshots; text0.pdf is with
pdflatex and text1.pdf with xelatex).

as pointed out in my reply to other branch of this thread perhaps try
with something like

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Times New Roman}

in preamble, for XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX.

(notice that on Mac OS X, the font must be a system font for XeTeX,
i.e. it will not find fonts from TeXLive if accessed by names like this,
except if some measures are taken -- like adding symlinks from ~/Library/Fonts
to the TeXLive repertories)

(no problem with LuaLaTeX)

J.-F.

Also, to make this AUCTeX-related, after setting LaTeX-command to
xelatex and typing C-c C-c in the test1.tex buffer, the compilation
failed with the uninformative message "LaTeX: problems after [0] pages"
and no log output.  But running xelatex from the shell worked fine.  Is
there something else necessary to use XeLaTeX in AUCTeX?

Steve Berman