Re: [AUCTeX] Emacs + AUCTeX + cœur LaTeX + MiKTeX + Nom de fichier avec

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Emacs + AUCTeX + cœur LaTeX + MiKTeX + Nom de fichier avec caractères accentués
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 19:13:26 +0000

Dear Arash,
Thanks for the feedback, I reinstalled AUCTeX from the GIT repo, and after erasing my customization & relaunching Emacs it worked, as expected with MiKTeX.

Just out of curiosity : do you have any idea of what the root cause of this change of behaviour is ? What surprises me is not really that it does not work any longer with \input, but that for some reason it has ever worked, and that Indeed it used to work with it?

Anyway, the root cause of this sort of issues is that the TeX engines command line is based on some non POSIX command line format and some euristic, one cannot write something like

   pdflatex --tex \input --file liberté.tex

where the argument after --tex would be interpreted as TeX code, and the argument after --file would be interpreted as a filename (ie all characters getting catcode 11 or 12).

So, OK not having \input makes it work for the simple case of LaTeX compilation, but the command line euristic is broken when, say, the TeX4ht loader is used, which means that non ASCII letters in the input filename would be quite messy for TeX4ht to support.

I also remember similar discussion for texi2dvi, see this fix if you are interested:
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/texinfo/trunk/util/texi2dvi?r1=7199&r2=7200, the trick was made to support funny characters like ~ in filenames while continuing to have \input in the command line...

VBR,
  Vincent.