Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 201

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] files with non-ascii characters and LaTeX as in TeXLive 2018
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 15:52:16 +0900

Hi Jean and all,

>>>>> jfbu <address@hidden> writes:
>> this is to draw attention to this
>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/429869/emacs-auctex-tl-2018-problems-with-non-ascii-characters-in-the-file-name

Thank you for report.  It seems that AUCTeX has to be fixed with the
change in texlive.

>> By the way, why does AucTeX use `\input` ?

According to my brief survey, AUCTeX used to call tex binaries in a form
like
        latex \nonstopmode\input FILENAME
in its early days.  I suppose that the initial reason to use \input is
to run tex in nonstop mode by prefixing \nonstopmode.
At some point in its history, AUCTeX changed to use "-interaction"
option to achieve nonstop mode like this:
        latex -interaction=nonstopmode \input FILENAME
Thus I think it is basically unnecessary to adhere using \input and now
we can do just
        latex -interaction=nonstopmode FILENAME
instead.

However, there is one exception.  Preview-latex calls latex in a form
like
        latex
\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{...}\AtBeginDocument{...} \input
FILENAME
, so it seems mandatory to me to use \input in order to insert these
complex stuffs before the document file is actually read by latex.

>> It creates another problem, which is that the LaTeX version banner
>> (not the engine banner, I mean the LaTeX format version) is not
>> inserted in the log.
>>
>> cf https://github.com/latex3/latex2e/issues/35

> a third related problem is the one of a format line at top of file. Afaict
> the `\input` causes it to be ignored.

> cf
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/427001/using-a-custom-fmt-with-emacs-auctex

My current impression is that it would be fine to change
TeX-command-list so that tex command issued explicitly by C-c C-c, C-c
C-r and so becomes like
    latex -interaction=nonstopmode FILENAME
while internal call by preview-latex continues to use \input and
incorporate \detokenize like
        latex
\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{...}\AtBeginDocument{...} \input
\detokenize{FILENAME}
.
How do others think about this idea?

Regards,