Re: [AUCTeX] Symbol's value as variable is void: LaTeX-reftex-cite-forma

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Symbol's value as variable is void: LaTeX-reftex-cite-format-auto-activate
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 15:51:11 +0200

Alfredo Buttari <address@hidden> writes:

> whenever I try to open a .tex file in Emacs I get the error in the
> subject. The file is opened in the background so I have to search
> through my buffers to see it.
>
> Could you please help me fixing this problem?

Hi Alfredo,

`LaTeX-reftex-cite-format-auto-activate' was introduced in AUCTeX
11.90.

,----[ News in 11.90 ]
| AUCTeX has a new custom option LaTeX-reftex-cite-format-auto-activate
| which controls the automatic activation of citation formats provided by
| RefTeX when a style file is loaded and RefTeX is enabled.  Currently,
| ‘biblatex.el’, ‘harvard.el’, ‘jurabib.el’ and ‘natbib.el’ use this
| feature.  If you have customized reftex-cite-format and want to use your
| settings, you should set this variable to nil.
`----

I suspect you have 2 AUCTeX installations on your HD and you load new
style files with on older tex-style.el which is incompatible.  Can you
please search your file system for tex-style.el and check for a bogus
installation?

Best, Arash