Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more freque

From: Norbert Preining
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more frequent releases
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 10:15:09 +0900

Hi both of you,

> > in the long run I could use both, but ATM the most straightforward way
> > for me would be to package from a git tag, especially if I could use
> > git archive to get a orig.tar.gz.

In this case, both the current stable release tags, as well as the
hopefully to be done elpa release tags can be used. I agree that
this would be good.

> > Apart from packaging, I think that AUCTeX users would benefit from
> > having clearly marked stable releases.  What about using some branching

Well, I think this is what is happening by now, with release balls and
tags in git. It is more about the additional releases to elpa and how
they are reflected into stable releases, or whatever stable releases
will be.

> > git workflow like using the master branch to track stable releases and a
> > next branch to develop new features until they are deemed stable enough
> > to be included in master?
>
> I'm not sure this workflow would work for a program with few people

Here I agree with Mose, I am doing most TeX packaging practically alone,
and I prefer one master that has all the development, and branches
for stable and oldstable.

Combining what you two said, it seems that the easiest way forward for
you (upstream) and not too disturbing for downstream to stop doing
whatever "tarball releases" you are doing, and we consider the
elpa releases as "the releases" which are properly tagged in git, and
people can build from there, or get the tarballs from the elpa
repository.

WDYT?

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer