Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more freque

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more frequent releases
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 13:13:32 +0200

On Thu, Jul 20 2017, Mosè Giordano wrote:

> I'd like to cooperate as much as possible with downstream
> distributors, but I'm not sure about what's the best way to do it:
>
> * start tagging and releasing bug-fix versions also in the main
> repository (not only in ELPA)?
> * continue to not tagging bug-fix versions but do more frequent stable
> releases?
> * other options?

Given that ELPA is very easy to set up and use, I would prefer the
choice that minimizes developer effort, so you and other developers have
time for important stuff and nifty new features.

I am puzzled why distributions consider it necessary to package a subset
of ELPA (unless there is a compelling reason to do so, eg because of
binary dependencies, but that is rare). It is wasted effort for all
participants.

best,

Tamas