[AUCTeX] How to configure TeX special characters?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: [AUCTeX] How to configure TeX special characters?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 15:13:34 +0200

Hi all,

a friend of mine has this problem: he does not want $, & and % to have
special meaning to (La)TeX, so he changes their catcodes to make them
un-special; to retain the possibility of inputting math, typesetting
tables and commenting out things, he assigns the respective catcodes to
some Unicode\setminus ASCII characters.

Putting aside the question whether it's a good idea (personally I don't
like it very much, but I can see the rationale), how do I convince
AUCTeX to take that into consideration when font-locking?  I tried to
monkey-patch AUCTeX sources (for instance, I tried changing
"\\$\\$\\([^$]+\\)\\$\\$" in font-latex-make-user-keywords into
something like "〖\\([^$]+\\)〗", then even restarting Emacs
altogether), but to no avail.

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski