Re: [AUCTeX] Support for empheq

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Support for empheq
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:09:55 +0200

Hi Mosè,

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> Writing a style file for empheq.sty was on my list for a long time.  I
>> had a skeleton, but now I finished it.  Could you test the attached file
>> and report back?  I will install the file then for the next release.
>
> Looks good, thank you!

Thank you for looking at the code.

> I was wondering why you used `dolist'+`add-to-list' to add the options
> of mathtools and amsmath to those of empheq, but I found the answer in
> mathtools style file: avoid duplicate (or even triplicate) entries.
> Right?  I think you can drop a comment to explain it to other readers
> ;-)

You are right, I've added a comment.

> However, mathtools already adds amsmath's options to its owns, do you
> need to repeat it also in empheq style file?

Nice catch!  My mistake while copy&pasting.  Thnx.

> A feature request: do you think you can make `TeX-insert-item' work in
> `empheq' environment when one specifies `align', `gather', or
> `alignat' ams-environments, just like it works in the parent
> environments?  This may not really easy to implement, tough.

Done, new version is attached, the function is called
`LaTeX-empheq-item-equation'.  One thing occured to me as I wrote it:
AUCTeX inserts an `\item' if one hits `M-RET' in an equation env:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[overload]{empheq}

\begin{document}

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:1}
  Hit `M-RET' here
\end{equation}

\begin{empheq}{equation}
  \label{eq:2}
  Hit `M-RET' here
\end{empheq}

\end{document}

I added some code to `LaTeX-empheq-item-equation' to suppress this.
Should AUCTeX do something like this for standard equation?  WDYT?

>> And while we're at it: Are you also using features from mathtools.sty?
>> I think AUCTeX's style file has a bug in \shoveleft and \shoveright.
>
> What do you refer to?

Hit `C-c C-m shoveleft RET 4 RET 5 RET' in example above and AUCTeX asks
for a width and height resulting in \shoveleft(4,5){}.  \shoveleft takes
an optional dimension argument, it should be \shoveleft[1cm]{} (see
mathtools doc page 17).  The entries

    '("shoveleft"  [ TeX-arg-size ] 1)
    '("shoveright" [ TeX-arg-size ] 1)

should be