Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 11:57:06 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mosè,

>>> Thanks for your answer. I can confirm that 'x-focus-frame' works on
>>> my system.
>>
>> Really?  It doesn't work for me when being called by
>> `TeX-source-correlate-sync-source'.  Emacs stays in the background here.
>>
>> But when I defer the call 1 second using
>>
>>   (run-at-time 1 nil
>>    (lambda ()
>>     (x-focus-frame (selected-frame))))
>
> `x-focus-frame' is available only from GNU Emacs 24.  I think you
> should at least put a `fboundp' test before calling that function, if
> `raise-frame' isn't an option at all.

Yes, right.  If you want you can do that for me because I currently have
no time to do it myself, just in case someone uses the Git version with
Emacs < 23.

Until now, I didn't receive replies on emacs-devel except for one
suggesting to use an external tool (wmctrl) for forcing emacs to get the
focus.  I'll wait a bit more but probably we might require some
customize option here because if Emacs gets focus seems to depend on the
window manager.  For me on Gnome, `raise-frame' works ok as I get a
notification which I can click to bring emacs to the front.  For Carlos
on XFCE, `x-focus-frame' works which doesn't work for me unless I call
it from a timer.

Bye,
Tassilo