Re: [AUCTeX] auctex Digest, Vol 129, Issue 18: Setup for new PDF-Tools

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] auctex Digest, Vol 129, Issue 18: Setup for new PDF-Tools
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:33:10 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

> Andrea De Michele <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
>>> Ok, I've renamed it now in the code and the docs, and the old name is
>>> now an obsolete variable alias.  Additionally, the ConTeXt sentinel now
>>> runs the hook, too.  Thanks Andrea for reporting that it didn't.  (Next
>>> time, please report such problems *before* we do a major release. ;-))
>>
>> Thanks to all of you to solve the problem so fast. I think that I need
>> to switch from the ELPA version to the git version of AUCTeX so I will
>> be able to report problems as fast as possible.
>
> That was just a joke above.  It has obviously been my fault. :-)
>
>> Did you think about publish a development version of AUCTeX in MELPA?
>
> No, then we'd have to mirror the repository on github which I think is
> not the right platform for GNU software given that it is proprietary and
> closed.

Actually I'm not sure MELPA requires a repository to be on GitHub.
Reading the recipe format I understand one can specify a git
repository on any server, and even not only git.

> However, the GNU ELPA versions XX.YY.Z with Z >= 1 are
> essentially development snapshots where is Git HEAD is at most a few
> weeks ahead.

Anyway, I think the GNU ELPA package works reasonably well and we
don't need for the time being a more bleeding-edge version.  Probably,
we should make it more clear we prefer that way of installing AUCTeX,
I still see sometimes people having trouble installing the source
package or the Windows one.

Bye,
Mosè