Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX support in lettre

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX support in lettre
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 18:04:13 -0600

On Sat Nov 14 2015 Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> BBDB is some sort of phone book (well, it means insidious Big-Bother
> Data Base). My intention is to have functions to read the to-address with
> auto-completion by getting the data from BBDB by means of name or
> organisation.
>
> It is not that simple because the way you present the address in a
> postal sending may need some formatting dependent on the country,
> so probably a defcustom is needed to make this more open.

In BBDB 3 the formatting of addresses is quite customizable via the
user variable bbdb-address-format-list.

You might know that BBDB also comes with an interface for printing
complete BBDB records via TeX (not LaTeX), see the file bbdb-print.el.
For addresses, this uses bbdb-print-address-format-list, which
defaults to bbdb-address-format-list.  Printing complete BBDB
records is probably not what you want.  However, you might want to
use a scheme similar to what bbdb-print does in order to feed BBDB
addresses into your (La)TeX files.

Roland

PS: The main code in bbdb-print.el is very old.  It's on my to-do
list to update this code to have a better interface with LaTeX.
However, I have not yet found the time to do that.  Yet printing of
addresses will most likely continue to use bbdb-address-format-list.