Re: [AUCTeX] Patch to tex-info.el to support node name completion in @..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Patch to tex-info.el to support node name completion in @..ref commands, and solve a few other pbs
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:34:57 -0400

> interest. Some time ago Stefan Monnier changed add-to-list by pushnew, I
> don't know what the motivation was, probably somebody had complained
> that add-to-list was taking too much time.

add-to-list doesn't work on lexical variables.

> However these are not functionally equivalent, pushnew will skip the
> replacement only if the node name is already there on top of the list,
> while add-to-list will skip it if it is already there at any place.

Not so: (cl-)pushnew looks at the whole list as well.

I don't have much opinion on this function in general, since I don't
use it.  All I care about is to not re-introduce the
add-to-list abomination (it's fine for use in a user's ~/.emacs to add
some element to a global variable, but definitely not when operating on
a let-bound variable).

        Stefan