Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 08:25:38 +0200

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> So, I deinstalled it, and saw that:
>
>   ┌────
>   │   auctex             11.88.6       available  gnu        Integrated
> environment for *TeX*
>   └────
>
> So, yes, it's still from GNU ELPA -- contrarily to what I thought.

Ok, that's what I guessed.  There's not AUCTeX in MELPA anyway.

>>> I was expecting a potential problem, but got a PDF as expected:
>>
>> Very strange.  So the very same command issued by AUCTeX doesn't find
>> your tex master wheras it just works from the command line.  The only
>> thing that would explain things is that it's run from a wrong directory
>> in the AUCTeX case.
>>
>> When you do `C-c C-c latex RET'
>
> Note -- Now that I reinstalled `auctex' (from ELPA), my TeX buffer is
> again in Fundamental mode. So, the DBUS problem is not a question of
> whether the ELC files have been compiled via the Windows Emacs or the
> Cygwin Emacs (because I just did it from the Cygwin Emacs).
>
> Note -- Reinstalling `auctex' generates the following output:
>
> [snip]
>
> Is this safe?  There are still quite a lot of warnings (206, if
> I believe Anzu)...

Yes, that's ugly but expected.  Almost all warnings are about style
files accessing functions and variables from tex.el, latex.el, or
font-latex.el.  Those will be available when the style files are loaded
at runtime but they are not there at compile-time.  One could add tons
of requires to the styles in order to silence the warnings but that
would slow down the compilation quite a bit, so it's not really worth
it.

> Back to reapplying your workaround...
>
>> followed by `C-c C-l' to switch to the output buffer, what does `C-h
>> v default-directory' return in there?  It should be the directory
>> containing haie-ecm.tex.
>
> In this buffer:
>
>   ┌────
>   │ Running `LaTeX' on `haie-ecm' with ``pdflatex -file-line-error
> -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" haie-ecm.tex''
>   │ This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (TeX Live 2014/W32TeX)
> (preloaded format=pdflatex)
>   │  restricted \write18 enabled.
>   │ entering extended mode
>   │ LaTeX2e <2014/05/01>
>   │ Babel <3.9l> and hyphenation patterns for 79 languages loaded.
>   │ ! I can't find file `haie-ecm.tex'.
>   │ <*> \input haie-ecm.tex
>
>   │ (Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit)
>   │ Please type another input file name
>   │ ! Emergency stop.
>   │ <*> \input haie-ecm.tex
>
>   │ !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>   │ Transcript written on texput.log.
>
>   │ TeX Output exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Jun 10 21:17:07
>   └────
>
> I get the following:
>
>   ┌────
>   │ default-directory is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>   │ Its value is
>   │ "/cygdrive/d/Users/sva/Personal/Lettres/"
>   │ Local in buffer
> *~/Personal/Business/Real-Estate/Apartment-Scorpios-Boulouris/Lettres/haie-ecm
> output*; global value is nil
>
>   │   Automatically becomes permanently buffer-local when set.
>   │   This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
>   │   satisfies the predicate `stringp'.
>
>   │ Documentation:
>   │ Name of default directory of current buffer.  Should end with slash.
>   │ To interactively change the default directory, use command `cd'.
>   └────
>
> This seems to be what you expected... but, then, there is not obvious
> reason for why it fails within Emacs...

Eh, no!  Your tex file is

~/Personal/Business/Real-Estate/Apartment-Scorpios-Boulouris/Lettres/haie-ecm.tex

so I expect the default-directory in that buffer to be

  ~/Personal/Business/Real-Estate/Apartment-Scorpios-Boulouris/Lettres/

Or is that maybe some symlink to
/cygdrive/d/Users/sva/Personal/Lettres/?

> Euh, well, I may have a hint.  I'm using TeX Live, installed within
> Windows.  Does it receive a path to the file written in the
> `/cygdrive/d' way?  If yes, I guess TeX Live does not understand where
> is the file.

Hm, I think the line

  pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" haie-ecm.tex

in the output buffer is literally what's executed...  I'll go
checking...

Ok, so (at least here) `TeX-run-command' will first cd into the
directory containing the master file, and then it executes

  <TeX-shell> <TeX-shell-command-option> \
    pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode \
    "\input" haie-ecm.tex

where TeX-shell is /bin/sh and TeX-shell-command-option is -c here.  So
the file is really given as-is without path.  Could you try to run that
command from the cygwin bash with the values you have for TeX-shell and
TeX-shell-command-option?

But anyway, the problem seems to be that the command is executed from
the wrong directory as said above.

Bye,
Tassilo