Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with xpdf (was Re: Where and how TeX-evi

From: Mandar Mitra
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with xpdf (was Re: Where and how TeX-evince-sync-view is defined?)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 21:33:52 +0530

Tassilo Horn wrote (Wed, May 13, 2015 at 09:08:36AM +0200):
> I used to use Evince up to version 3.14 with no issues, and the current
> version 3.16 also works fine here (in general and also its interplay
> with AUCTeX), so that looks like an Ubuntu-specific problem to me.

Ok, I'll try it out on some other distribution. Thanks!

> Anyway, since a few months I use PDF-Tools [1] as my main PDF viewer.
> It's like Emacs' doc-view-mode on steroids, i.e., it's also a PDF viewer
> in Emacs which supports isearch (with highlighting!), annotations
> (reading and editing!), etc, etc, and I've already added support for it
> in AUCTeX.  So you might want to give it a go.

Yes, I did, thanks to the earlier thread on pdf-tools. As a PDF viewer
that permits annotations and isearch from inside Emacs, it's terrific!

The red rectangle marker of Evince is replaced by a transient red arrow
with AUCTeX + PDF-Tools, which I find somewhat less convenient.

Still, I have the following for when I'm feeling adventurous (this works
for me, but it might be idiomatically (or just plain) terrible code).

(defun mm-toggle-tex-pdf-viewer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((pdf-tools-pair '(output-pdf "PDF Tools"))
        (first-elem (car TeX-view-program-selection)))
    (if (equal pdf-tools-pair first-elem)
        (pop TeX-view-program-selection)
      (add-to-list 'TeX-view-program-selection '(output-pdf "PDF Tools")))))

mandar.