Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Long loading time
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 23:16:55 +0200

Le 29/04/2015 22:42, jfbu a écrit :
Le 29/04/2015 22:19, Munawar Cheema a écrit :
It's not the first time I've heared people having such issues.  I think,
I've also read that on SX from some Mac guy.  Unfortunately, I cannot
reproduce that.

I use AUCTex on a macbookpro from 2011 and it loads extremely fast so no
issues on a MAC.

Munawar

Well, I am also on a Mac (under 10.9.5) and since last fall
when I upgraded AUCTeX to 11.88 (*) I got used to a systematic
wait of about 5 seconds when first opening a .tex file
in an Emacs buffer.

(*) I don't even know the earlier version number, I had
been years without upgrading AUCTeX

..at least that was my constant experience until today !

indeed, when I saw this thread I was going to say I also
experienced the lag, and wanted to test it again,
but it has miraculously disappeared ! right now, today !

(or rather it is now something like 1.5 seconds rather than 5)

I moved to Emacs Mac Port emacs-24.5-mac-5.7 on April 12
(emacs v24.5.3)
and to AUCTeX 11.8.4 on April 17, but I had not noticed
anything had changed, however I am not reliable on this.
I was preoccupied by other things.

I did some clean-up of my texmf-local tree yesterday
and the day before (TeXLive)
but I don't see how that could relate to AUCTeX behavior.

Quite certainly completely unrelated: I am currently
with the pretest of TL2015, and the kpsewhich library
benefits (only on Mac OS X) from a 5 fold speed increase
compared to TL2014.

I don't think AUCTeX does anything like
kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFHOME
during loading. But if it did, that could explain how
slow things on my system could have gotten 5 times faster.

I am pretty sure however this is irrelevant, except if
Munawar also has (pre) TeXLive2015

and anyhow the initial message on this thread was on Windows.

Apart from that during the last weeks, some libraries
were upgraded on my Mac, for example I did an update
of my anaconda Python things.

Not to mention the things my Mac does behing my back
connecting to Apple servers and the like, of which
I have no knowledge.

Jean-François