Re: [AUCTeX] can't find file ??

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] can't find file ??
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:41:39 +0100

Hi Benjamin,

> I'm stumped with what appears to be a fairly easy/straightforward
> problem.  All of a sudden, when I try to compile LaTeX files in AUCTeX,
> latex reports that it can't find the source (TeX) file.
>
> Here's the output:
>
> Running `LaTeX' on `.' with ``pdflatex  --synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode
> "\input" ..tex''
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (TeX Live 2014/Arch Linux)
> (preloaded format=pdflatex)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> LaTeX2e <2014/05/01>
> Babel <3.9k> and hyphenation patterns for 79 languages loaded.
> ! I can't find file `..tex'.
> <*> \input ..tex
>

> Obviously somehow the input file name is being passed simply as ".",
> which isn't a file and thus obviously the compiler can't find it. What
> is perplexing me is that I haven't changed anything in my AUCTeX setup
> and it was working fine before.  I did upgrade to Emacs 24.1 (but I
> think, though I can't be sure, that it was compiling even after the
> upgrade).
>
> Where should I be looking to fix this problem?

Does this happen for every file or just some files?  In the latter
case, which are the names of the files?  The function guessing the
name of the master file is `TeX-master-file', try to run `M-:
(TeX-master-file) RET': which is the output?  It would be nice if you
could debug it with `edebug-defun'.

Bye,
Mosè