Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Problem with latex2e style hook --- LaTeX/Texinfo collision‏
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 08:34:49 +0200

Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW I could not find the issue tracker at
> https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/auctex, are you at all using an
> issue tracker (or AUCTeX does not have any issues :-P :-DDD ).

were bug reports sent with M-x TeX-submit-bug-report end up.  The list
is also accessible via Gmane: gmane.emacs.auctex.bugs.

>> > - having the new argument for all LaTeX styles (I used a constant
>> > LaTeX-dialect instead of hard-conding `:latex', as that seemed more
>> > futureproof to me.
>> >
>> > - supporting (or ...) and (not ...) dialect expressions --- for
>> > completeness I also added (and ...)
>> >
>> > - not sure whether this was a good idea, but I commonalized the dialects
>> > list with equal value to a single instance for the sake of memory
>> > saving (but this makes the code slightly more complex, and finally I
>> > don't think that the saving worth it).
>>
>> I totally agree. Please make it go away! :-)
>
> Gone!

Great!

>> > + (add-hook 'bibtex-mode-hook 'TeX-bitex-set-dialect-hook)
>>
>> I don't like naming functions *-hook, and there's a "b" missing.
>> `TeX-bibtex-set-LaTeX-dialect' would be fine.
>>
> Done, except that I named it
>
> TeX-bibtex-set-BibTeX-dialect
>
> because the matter is to set dialect to *BibTeX* (not LaTeX) when you
> are in BibTeX mode.

Yes, fine.  I first thought it would set the LaTeX-dialect variable
which I later saw it doesn't.

> Well: this may mean that some of hooks will need to be allowing both
> BibTeX and LaTeX dialects (actually I don't think so, as there do not
> seem to be anything like BibTeX editing support in AUCTeX appart from
> bib-cite which I don't know about.
>
> Please expect that you might see something looking like a regression
> when editing BibTeX files if you rely on some style hook being active
> in those files.

At least I don't, but we'll see.

>> `not' must only have one argument. Your `not' is probably a `nor'. We
>> could just rename it to `nor' but I think making it a normal `not'
>> would be better.
>
> I renamed it `nor' because I think that a user may want to pass
> explicitly `(nor )' as the last argument of TeX-add-style-hook to
> mean:
>
>    Supported for *all* dialects
>
> as opposed to:
>
>    I have coded this before Vincent did the patch, so the last
>    argument is missing.

Yes, nil (omitted) should indeed mean "run with all dialects" but I
don't see why this requires `nor'.  The only place I found it is in the
docstring of `TeX-add-style-hook' where you say that omitted is
equivalent to (nor).  You could also just say that it's equivalent to
`(not (or))', no?

To me it looks just a bit strange to have `and' and `or' but not a plain
`not'.  Do me a favor and just add a normal `not' that just delegates to
`nor'.

Bye,
Tassilo